10 Quick Tips About Moving Out
Moving out of your home is something that tends to bring high levels of stress, but most of that is brought on by being totally unprepared and leaving things to the last minute. Moving can actually be pretty straightforward if you follow the 10 simple tips outlined below:
- Plan Ahead – This doesn’t just mean getting things prepared on this side, it also means making sure that all of your ducks are in a row at your destination. Having cable, electricity, gas and other utilities turned on and ready to go on the day in which you arrive. If you have pets, find a vet. Make sure schools are picked out for the kids, and get your banking all set up at your new place of residence.
- Get Help – Don’t be too proud to ask for help when you need it. Hire house cleaners to come in and get your old house cleaned up and your new one ready to move into. This is a chore that most people hate when moving, so leave it to the pros.
- Sort Your Stuff – Organize all your belongings so that when it comes time to pack, it will be much easier to have everything that goes together in the same boxes. This will help you on both ends of the move.
- Get Rid of Junk – When you are doing that sorting, toss out those items that you know you are never going to use. Taking them with you just means having more stuff and making the job that much bigger.
- Buy Packing Supplies and Boxes – Once you are all organized, you will have a much better idea of what you will need in terms of packing supplies. This will save you having to make more trips to get more boxes and tape.
- Pack Your Stuff – Make sure to clearly mark all the boxes so that you know what goes where when you get to the other side. Playing the mystery box game just adds time to the process.
- Load The Truck – If you have hired a professional company to move you, the loading part should be left to them. If not, get some friends in to help expedite the loading, but don’t rush. Take time to properly utilize the space in the truck so that everything is well packed and free from potential damage during the move.
- Unpacking – If you have properly marked your boxes, you should know where everything goes. Get to the essentials first and then take your time with the rest.
- Stay Organized – It’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of the move, especially when you arrive at your new home. Keeps things as organized as possible, as this will prevent items from becoming lost or damaged.
- Give Yourself Plenty of Time – Like we said at the start of this piece, leaving things till the last minute is often what causes the biggest problems. There are plenty of things you can take advantage of weeks before you move, so do them all as soon as you can.